What’s the most important element in any direct tactic: direct mail, print ad, or registration? It’s the direct response device.
Why? Because that is the purpose of all direct tactics – to get a response.
So, how do you ensure that your plan works and causes a response to take place?
8 Ways to Increase Your Direct Response Rate
- Make the response device simple. A confusing or difficult response device causes people to give up before they even try.
- Make it LOOK easy. Make the reader think it’s easy! Use type that’s easy to read. Leave space to enter information. Ask your 5th grader if she understands what the offer says and the information the response device requests.
- Some people like to call in so make the telephone number nice and big. Make sure it’s an 800 number. People also like to respond online. Give them the alternative option. Who cares HOW they respond as long as they respond!
- You want to give response options but don’t give too many – Keep It Simple!
- Did you include some sort of money-back guarantee? That’s an easy idea to rationalize.
- How do the visuals look and did you place a visual near the response device?
- ‘Name’ the response device. Is it simply a “Sweepstakes Entry” or is it: “Your Chance to WIN!?” I know which one I’m responding to! Is it a Certificate of Request?” A “Savings Coupon” or is it “A Chance to Save up to $25!” You get it. It’s not what you say – it’s more important that you convey the BENEFIT in responding.
- Track your results. How did the responses come in? Via what sources? How quickly?
It takes a bit of thought, but as long as you make it clear and simple, you’ll lift your response rate – guaranteed!
Leave a Reply